Tuesday, March 19, 2013

2013 Goals: Week 10 Postmortem

Novel: 21,000 / 35,000 words.

I'm really getting back into the swing of things, fortunately. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Here's the weird thing, though. I've written over 1/5 of the book, if it's going to be 100,000 words.

But I'm only in the fifth chapter. Introducing the fifth of five POV characters.

...This may end up being significantly longer than 100K words unless I can figure out a way to trim, or rearrange. Maybe clip up the opening chapters? Hm. Or... just keep the first chapters significantly longer to keep the 'introduction to characters' thing, but flip rapidly through characters as we get further into the novel.

Perspective: The first draft (which I never 100% finished, to be fair) had each character with 12, 13, or 14 POV chapters total. If I kept this word count up, they'd have more like five each... and that's not taking into account that I have a completely new fifth POV character. Jesus.

I'm currently leaning towards shorter chapters as the novel progresses. Maybe once I'm done with this draft, I'll go back and try to figure out how best to break up the opening chapters. Or decide if they're going to stay the same.

We'll see what happens!

Working Out: 4/4 times. 

Didn't fall behind. Phew. And I worked out today, so I'm off to a good start for this week.

Blogging: 4/3 posts. (+1 from earlier weeks, ideal total 4)


WHEEEE. Success. I'm back on schedule again.

No comments: